Numbers in Words
Numbers in words are written usually with the help of the alphabet. For example, 100000 in words is written as 1 Lakh or One hundred thousand. Worldwide, English is the most common language used specifically for education. Therefore, the numbers or numerals we are going to learn here in English words. Apart from English, these numbers could be written in other languages as well such as in Hindi, Urdu, Kannada, Gujarati, etc.
The numbers are the basics of Mathematics. Each and every concept we learn in Maths have numbers included in them. They are used for various types of calculations. There are also different types of numbers, which students can learn in the Number system. These numbers can be represented in the form of words, standard form, in place value and face value form.
How to Write Numbers in words?
To write any number in the form of words, we have to check the place value. Let us learn step by step.
- The place value of ones place a number from 1 to 9 is written in words as, one, two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and nine.
- The least number which is at tens place is 10, which is written in words as ten.
- The numbers from 11 to 19 is written in words as, eleven, twelve, thirteen, fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, eighteen and nineteen. And the next number is twenty.
- After twenty, the number follows the pattern in such a way that they are written in words as thirty, forty, fifty, sixty, seventy, eighty, ninety.
- The preceding numbers are linked with these words and mentioned from one to nine. For example, twenty-one, twenty-two, etc.
Example: Write 33 in words.
Solution: In number 33, one’s place is occupied with 3, so there are 3 ones, and tens place is also occupied with 3, so there are 3 tens. So 3 tens and 3 ones are equal to 33. Or we can write, 33 as ‘thirty-three’ in words.
Numbers From 1 to 100 in Words
Let us write the numbers from 1 to 100 in English words, so that students can learn from this table.
In the same way, students can write the numbers from 101 till 1000 in words. To make you practice, few sample questions are given below. Try to write these numbers in words on your own.
Question 1: Write 114 in words.
Question 2: Write 500 in words.
Question 3: Write 786 in words.